Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Mani in Manhattan: Neon Tribal

This past weekend I went with Mike to New York City to visit friends in both Manhattan and Brooklyn. We always love seeing our friends up there, and, to be honest, it's the only type of vacation we can afford right now, so we try to take advantage about twice a year or so.  

I cannot emphasize this enough: seeing the city with people who live there is a COMPLETELY different experience than seeing it by yourself. Many people who visit the city go to the typical tourist attractions: Times Square, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc. 

There's nothing wrong with those places, and they are cool to see. But when you get shown around New York by a New Yorker, you get to see all the cool little hole-in-the-wall hot spots and restaurants that you wouldn't otherwise know about. 

Brooklyn Bowl is a great example of this. It is a bowling alley in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, that doubles as a bar and concert venue. Pretty cool, right? Well they also do events, like Emo Night, which we attended Friday night. I got to dress up as a douche-y, 2005 teenager (let's be real, a former version of myself) and scream along to classic songs by Taking Back Sunday, Story of the Year, My Chemical Romance, and more. 

"Am I doing this right?"

Mike and I *did* do one tourist-y thing, and visited the Central Park Zoo. It was worth every cent, especially for the time I spent watching the harbor seals twirl around in their pool. 

There was also brunch. Lots of brunch. SO MUCH BRUNCH. I'm pretty sure by Sunday afternoon, my kidneys were swimming in champagne and orange juice. 

"Do you guys have pitchers of mimosas? Yeah, we will have one of those. That's right, just for the two of us. Thanks."

#NoShame. 

And, of course, I had to browse around a city Sephora. I'm glad I did, because I got to see, and hold in my hand, a Christian Louboutin nail polish in all it's glory. They retail for $50 EACH, so I really felt like I was in the presence of greatness. 



Which brings me to my final point: what I did with my nails for the weekend. I arrived in the city wearing a light sundress and wore a lot of black and white or tribal throughout the weekend, so I wanted to do something that would work with whatever I wore. 

Zoya in "Ali", "Purity", and "Willa"

Despite using my smallest detailing brush, the tribal still turned out a little messy, but not too terrible for my first freehand tribal. But, holy moly, that pink?! EYE searing. It's a great pink neon for the summer, it really packs a punch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment